Bath & North East Somerset Council is asking local residents to be aware of an email scam in operation in relation to Council Tax, following various reports across the area.
The Council has had reports of a bogus email informing Council Tax payers that they have an outstanding Council Tax debt.
The email goes on to say that the Council has been unable to process their recent payment and that they should pay again by clicking on the link within the email.
That link then takes the user to a page that is believed to take bank details.
These emails are not from Bath & North East Somerset Council.
If you are unsure whether you need to make a payment, contact the council on 01225 47 77 77, or email [email protected].
If you have received a scam email:
- Do not click on any links in the email.
- Do not reply to the email or contact the senders in any way.
- If you have clicked on a link in the email, do not supply any information on the website that may open.
- Do not open any attachments that arrive with the email.
- Report it to Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06.
If you think you may have compromised the safety of your bank details and/or have lost money due to fraudulent misuse of your cards, you should contact your bank immediately.