Two people have had a lucky escape after they were alerted to a fire in a bedroom in their Bath home thanks to their smoke alarm.
Avon Fire and Rescue received reports of the fire just before 7pm last night.
When firefighters arrived on scene at Purlewent Drive in Weston, they found a woman in her 70s and a man in his 40s already out of the property as their smoke alarm had given them time to escape.
The two occupants were unharmed.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel to deal with the fire in the bedroom, which left the room damaged by fire and smoke.
Once the fire was out, crews ventilated the premises using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
It’s thought the fire started accidentally after an electrical fault caused sockets and cables to overheat.
This incident highlights the importance of working smoke alarms. They activate at the first sign of a fire giving residents the chance to escape, especially at night.
Avon Fire & Rescue Service offers free Home Fire Safety Visits where firefighters visit the homes of vulnerable people to discuss fire safety measures and fit smoke alarms if required.