The M4 motorway between Bath and Bristol remains closed this afternoon, following a collision this morning involved an HGV, causing significant delays across the area.
Highways England have warned that the road will remain closed for a number of hours, to allow for ongoing recovery and major repairs to barriers at the side of the M4 near Bristol.
The busy stretch of the M4 is closed between J18, for Bath, and J19, to join the M32 for Bristol.
The collision happened at around 8.30am this morning, near the junction for Bristol.
A lorry overturned on the westbound carriageway rupturing its fuel tank. Two cars were also involved in the incident, with the cargo container on the back of the lorry badly damaging barriers at the side of the road.
The #M4 in #SouthGloucestershire remains closed W/B this afternoon, between J18 #A46 & J19 #M32 following a traffic collision & severe barrier damage, as shown in image. Teams on site working as quickly/safely as possible. Details/diversion at https://t.co/bUaJJtCuMP. pic.twitter.com/htvnAP1lwe
— Highways England (@HighwaysSWEST) March 5, 2018
Extensive damage was caused to over 30 metres of bridge parapet, which has left a ten metre drop next to the central reservation.
Around 50 metres of central reservation barrier was also damaged and a large amount of fuel leaked onto the road, which will require resurfacing.
The M4 has been closed at J18, Bath, with the diversion below being offered for drivers to rejoin at J19.
Diversion route: ‘Solid Circle’
- Leave the M4 westbound at J18 and follow the A46 (Bath Road) northbound.
- Continue for approximately 2 miles to the junction with the A432.
- Turn left and take the A432 westbound for approximately 8 miles through Old Sodbury and Coalpit Heath.
- Continue, until you reach the A4174 junction. Turn right onto the A4174 and continue to the M32 J1.
- Join the M32 northbound and travel to the junction with the M4 J19 where you can re-join the M4 westbound.