Emergency services have been dealing with a large gas leak in Hinton Charterhouse near Bath this morning, which if not discovered could have led to an explosion.
Local resident Andy Stewart was travelling through Hinton Charterhouse when he discovered the damaged gas main.
He alerted Avon and Somerset Police who began closing roads around the surrounding area while other emergency services were called in.
Homes around the leaking gas main were evacuated and the fire brigade arrived to give backup to gas engineers who worked to fix the main.
The gas supply has been turned off while the repairs take place.
It is believed the main was ruptured by a Council contractor’s tractor cutting hedges along the road through Hinton Charterhouse.
This morning emergency services have been dealing with a large gas leak in Hinton Charterhouse . Situation is now safe .
— ASPolice Bath (@ASPBath) July 11, 2014