Sweet, moist and easy to make, these warmly spiced pumpkin muffins are good for baking with children.
For an easy frosting, beat together 300g cream cheese, 100g butter, 100g icing sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract until soft.
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 40 mins | Serves 14
- 115g butter or margarine
- 175g brown sugar
- 115g golden syrup or honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 225g pumpkin or squash, cooked & mashed
- 200g plain flour, sieved
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 50g currants or raisins
- Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6 and place 14 paper cases in a muffin tray.
- In a large bowl cream the butter until soft. Add the sugar and golden syrup and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the beaten egg and pumpkin until well mixed. Sift over the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Lightly fold these ingredients into the mixture.
- Stir in the currants or raisins and spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cases. The cases should each be about two thirds full of the mixture.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- When cooked, leave to cool before icing.