Saltford’s new Post Office is set to open on Monday 24th September, as part of a venture which includes the running of the community library service.
The Post Office, which will open in part of Saltford’s community library at 1pm, follows months of work by the local community.
The combined Post Office and community library has meant two village amenities which were at risk of closure, have been able to stay open and serving the public.
Plans were finalised earlier this year to hand the running of the former Saltford Library to the community, as part of Bath and North East Somerset Council’s Modern Libraries programme.
The new Post Office will not provide all the services available at a main branch, but will still provide the following:
- Letters and parcel services (inland and international, except Global Express);
- Travel money – pre-order 70 currencies and if you order before lunchtime, you can collect from Saltford Post Office the following day. The branch will be holding euros, dollars and travellers’ cheques and offering the multi-currency travel card. All currency transactions (except sterling) are commission free, including buyback.
- Banking services – withdraw money and deposit money with your bank. Businesses will be able to deposit takings (both cash and cheques) after setting up a facility with their banks to pay in. Chip and pin facilities will be available and you can check your balance when you need to;
- Open a Post Office card account for the receipt of pensions, benefits and tax credits for those who are unable to open a bank account;
- Pay bar-coded bills and budget cards, top up your mobile phone, E-Vouchers, electricity keys, gas cards.;
- Postal orders;
- Budget cards;
- One4all gift card that can be spent with over 120 high street shops and brands;
- Vehicle Tax – Bbuy or renew.
Speaking about the opening, chairman of the Saltford Library and Post Office Hub, David Halton said: “We are very hopeful that the new Post Office will be a success because it is through the profitability of the Post Office that we can underpin the library costs and continue to have these amenities long into the future.
“Trish Hubbard, our new Post Office manager, is looking forward to serving you Monday to Thursday and Nicola Newell, our Post Office officer, will serve you on Friday and Saturday.”
From the 25th September, the Post Office and community library will be open at the following times:
- Monday 9am – 1pm, 2pm – 5pm;
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 10.30am – 2.30pm;
- Saturday 9am – 12pm.
David continued: “Please remember: use it or lose it. We need your custom to support these facilities and your patience as we endeavour to understand the needs of our customers and the intricacies of a Post Office administration system!
“Remember as well that we are also stocking and selling a wide range of greeting cards and stationary to help fund this community enterprise so please come along and browse our selection!
“Thank you to all those members of our community who have supported this venture with donations and words of encouragement. You are absolutely brilliant.”