Residents are being urged to take extra caution when using electrical devices in the run-up to Christmas, as part of the Electrical Fire Safety Week campaign.
With Christmas rapidly approaching, many people have gotten Christmas decorations down from the loft, out from the shed or even headed out to the shops to buy new ones.
Whilst decorating is traditional, it’s important to make sure last year’s decorations have stood the test of time and remain safe to use.
Avon Fire & Rescue Service’s Prevention Manager Nikki Rice said: “We love a bit of recycling, but it’s important to make sure that saving money doesn’t cost you your safety.
“That’s why we’re calling for you to #CheckYourDecs for damage.”
Avon Fire & Rescue has issued the following advice:
- Check your Christmas lights and electrical decorations for damage by inspecting the lights, plug, and connections. If there is damage, don’t plug them in and dispose of them safely.
- If you need to use an extension cable, use the shortest one that you can for the purpose and avoid trailing cable across the floor.
- Avoid using multiway adapters and opt for an extension cable instead.
- Do not plug extension leads into one another. Instead, purchase a longer extension cable for your needs.
- When using an extension lead, make sure it is fully extended or unravelled. This will reduce the risk of it overheating.
- Do not exceed the limit for your extension lead – check it here.
Nikki added: “It’s also important to make sure that your lights are being turned off when you go out or go to bed.
“Make it part of your nighttime routine to go around and turn off all unnecessary switches.”