A meeting was held in Keynsham on Monday to feedback on results of community engagement about plans for the redevelopment of Keynsham Riverside.
Cllr Martin Veal (Conservative, Bathavon North), Cabinet Member for Community Services, said: “The feedback and reaction at the meeting, attended by well over 100 people, were largely supportive of the proposals.
“We received more than 300 responses to our engagement in June, following four local sessions. Listening to the positive feedback and the preference to redevelop Riverside we have developed exciting plans which will be set in motion very soon.”
As a result of local feedback on the leisure centre:
- All showers will be located in changing areas
- Single sex changing areas for the pools to be retained
- Soft play area increased
- New sauna included in design
- The area of facility has been increased from original scope
- Gym space floor area increased
- Second studio added
- Full café facility included, rather than vending machines, with seating and party rooms to serve the soft play area.
Work is estimated to start in spring/summer 2017. The enhanced refurbishments are expected to cost in the region of £10 million; detailed costs are being put together and will be discussed as part of the budget in February.
91% of respondents supported the conversion of the old offices to residential accommodation. Planning permission will now be sought to convert the offices into 96, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments.