During the prestigious Bath in Fashion Week, Bath & North East Somerset Council is organising its first clothes swap event at Komedia in Bath from 6pm on Tuesday 19th April 2016.
On average 30% of the clothes in our wardrobes haven’t been worn in the last year, so the Council are inviting residents to come along with their friends to swap not shop, and learn more about giving clothes a new lease of life by upcycling, repairing and recycling using their green box collection.
They’ll have local clothing upcyclers demonstrating their fantastic work, talking about their creations, giving advice on repairs and a chance for everyone to make a tote bag from an old t-shirt.
- Kecks Clothing – demonstrating how to upcycle your old clothes for new uses including how to make a hat from a jumper and you’ll have a chance to make a tote bag from an old T shirt (supplied by Bristol Textile recyclers).
- Kenaus – showing how they make your cherished clothes into stunning, uniquely hand-crafted items.
- Fabulous Jewellery – re-modelled old pieces of jewellery donated from customers to create fabulous new pieces (on sale in aid of Breast Cancer Now).
- The Craft Space will be running a series of demonstrations to show you how to adjust, upcycle and transform your clothes.
- Bristol Textile Recyclers – showing you how the clothes and shoes that the council collects from you are recycled.
Cllr Martin Veal (Conservative, Bathavon North), Cabinet Member for Community Services, said: “This will be the first Clothes Swap event and is a great way to refresh your wardrobe, save you money and reinvent yourself.
“It’s also a great opportunity to sort out of your wardrobe and make sure the clothing you no longer wear or want doesn’t end up in our rubbish collections.
“Please dig out those items that you are bored with or that don’t fit anymore and bring them along to swap for lots of other great items.
“Please make sure that the items you bring along are the kind we can accept – they all need to be in good, washed or clean condition and ready to be worn again.”
Residents can also recycle their clothes and shoes in their weekly green box recycling collection or donate them to charity, but research by the Council shows that almost 4% of our rubbish black bag waste is made up from textiles that could have been passed on or recycled.
See their website for details: www.bathnes.gov.uk/textiles. Any clothes left over at this event will be re-used and/or recycled.
The Clothes swap takes place on Tuesday 19th April at Komedia, 22-23 Westgate Street, Bath BA1 1EP.
Clothes will be accepted from 6pm, with upcycling demonstrations from 6.30 pm and continued throughout the evening. The big swap will happen from 7 – 9pm.
Bring any adult clothes, shoes and accessories that you are proud to pass on to others:
- Items must be clean and in good condition (maximum 20 items per person).
- For each item accepted you’ll be given you one token to exchange for an article of your choice;
- They can’t accept some types such as underwear and swimwear.
However they will have a bra bank at this event so please bring your unwanted wearable bras to be sent to Africa where they are needed.
The charity Against Breast Cancer will receive a donation based on the weight collected. www.againstbreastcancer.org.uk.
Entry fee £5 (includes welcome drink). A pay bar is also available.
Limited places are available so please book and pay in advance – call Council Connect 01225 39 40 41 or visit a One Stop Shop.